Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Derby Weekend


Get comfortable- this is a long and somewhat boring post.

That's what happens when I get behind on blogging!

How was your Derby weekend?  Ours was laid back and pretty low key.

My Derby festivities began with the Pegasus Parade on Thursday.  Jennifer takes her boys every year, and she allowed me to tag along.

A quick story before pics....
So my neighbor Jen H knew I was going to the parade, and knew I wanted to take her 5 year old, Nate.  I adore him.  Jen however, is a very protective, AWESOME mommy and Nate had never... as in  EVER...rode in the car with anyone other then her.  My mom was the same way when we were young- she was scared to death to let us ride in a car without her.  So though I tease Jen about it- it's nothing new for me.
Jen was working during the parade- so I knew taking Nate.... in my car... without her...would not be an option- but I gave it a try anyway.  





I was standing in the middle of Kroger when she called and told me that her and her husband had discussed it, and if there was anyone in the world they would trust with their Nate, it would be me.

I got all emotional....   right there in the middle of the produce section.







And then I panicked.  What had I gotten myself into?  I was now responsible for precious cargo.....cargo that had never been transported by anyone other than Mommy.  
I have never driven so cautiously in all my life.




My dad called as I was pulling into a parking garage and warned me to be careful of all of the "nuts" downtown.  My daddy and Nate's Mommy obviously belong to the same protective parenting group :)  He said the parade route was a bad area, full of bums, criminals, thieves, etc.  Great.  Now what was I to do? 

I said a prayer, put a death grip on Nate's hand and began plotting what I would offer the thief if he would just please not take Nate. ????
Yes, I am very irrational under stress.  
As we exited the garage, and headed toward the parade, I thankfully saw no bums...  just the smiling face of this friend...




I then sent Jen H a text (and a photo of Nate for proof!) to tell her we had arrived safely :).

Jennifer R had roped off a spot for us and had brought snacks, drinks, bubbles, etc.  She is a very good Pegasus Parade host :)












Nate was SO good and so sweet.  He always is.  I could brag on him for days.  His preschool class had taken a field trip to the "parade float viewing" a few days prior and he recognized one of the clowns (amoungst several dozen!?) during the parade!




The clown remembered Nate too- I thought it was sweet.




I think Max would have joined the parade if we let him.  He would get as close to the action as he could without getting stepped on. :)  He has never met a stranger, and was talking to the guest around us.






     








Jennifer's cousin Amber and her little Ava were there as well.  I practically grew up with Amber and don't get to see her enough!  I enjoyed spending time with her.




Jennifer being the all experienced Pegasus Parade hostess that she is, brought materials for face painting!?





Max asked for a duck, and Jennifer did so good!  He then saw that the other boys requested "Angry Birds," so he removed his duck! :(







The "Angry Bird" crew.



Can't get enough of this boy....even if he did mess up his cute duck...




Toward the end of the parade Nate asked me when the "Nemo" float was coming.  His family went to Disney this past September, so I knew he was remembering one of the floats from Disney World.  I explained to him that unfortunately there would be no Nemo float- that this parade was different.  He said "I'm sure this parade has a Nemo too." 




Yes- the child remembered EVERYTHING from his preschool field trip to the float viewing.








A big thanks to Jennifer R for hosting a fun parade party!  To be honest- I really cared nothing about going to see the parade, I just wanted to spend time with Jennifer, Will and Max. 

A very special thanks to Jen H for entrusting her sweet Nate to me.  I feel like I now have a spot in his "list of first" and will forever be part of his story :). Twenty years from now I will still be telling him that is first car outing without Mom, was with me! :-) 

Are you bored yet?  Because that was only Thursday :(

Troy had to work on Oaks Day, so while waiting for him to get off, I spent some time with Lorielle and Piper.  Troy and I met Lorielle a few years ago at my good friend Brittany's wedding.  Britt was married in Florida, and Lorielle (14 at the time) was brought along to nanny all of the children during the week of the wedding.  Troy and I absolutely fell in love with her.  We said then that if we ever won the lottery- she would be our future live in Nanny- just so that some of her goodness could rub off on our children.  She is that precious.

She is now 17, just as sweet.....  and GORGEOUS!! 


Anyhoo.....  Lorielle lives a few hours outside of Louisville, so we try and visit with her when she comes to town.  She was watching Britt's little girl Piper (you may remember Piper from this post) so the three of us went to the zoo.






















Lorielle said that she knows Piper can't be around me without a gi-normous bow in her hair (my motto is "the bigger the bow, the better the mommy.... or baby sitter"  HA!), so she chose the bow first (the largest one in Piper's collection) and the outfit second.  Love it!





It is absolutely beyond me why this young, beautiful, 17 year old would ever want to hang with boring, blah, 31 year old me.  But I'll take her :)

Troy got to visit with Lorielle and Piper for a few minutes and he again agreed that teenagers like Lorielle are far and few between.  I feel really old when I find myself saying that I'm "proud" of a teenager- but I am proud.  The negative influences that can accompany high school and being a teenager haven't influenced this sweet girl a bit.  I asked her the other day if girls gave her a hard way to go at school because of how pretty she is.  I told her I knew their had to be some mean spirited jealous girls.  She looked at me like I had two heads and said "What do you mean?  Why would they be jealous of me?  You should see the pretty girls at my school!"

And that is why I love Lorielle.


And now a few picks from our laid back Derby day.

Troy made homemade Mint Juleps....












and did a wonderful job!  They were so much better then the ones we've had at Churchill Downs.




Kandice spent the day with us and her and Troy enjoyed placing a few bets.




I made fajitas (Cinco De Mayo!) and Mom and Dad joined us later for dinner and to watch the Derby race.  It was a good day :)

For anyone still reading...  bless you.  I promise to try and do shorter post in the future.

Have a good Wednesday!

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment