Pages

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Riverdance and a "Happy Birthday!"



Troy took me to see "Riverdance" last night!  It was fabulous!  I was practically raised in tap shoes, and have always wanted to see Riverdance.  When I heard they were coming through Louisville for the last time- I knew I had to get tickets.



Before I get to the show- I have to "keep it real," as I try so hard to do on this blog.  I do these post mainly for our memories.  It's our online scrapbook.

So yesterday I had the WORST day at work.  We all have them-it's no biggie.  I love my job, and what it brings to my life, but yesterday was one of those days where you pray the whole way home that you win the lottery so that you never have to return to work again!

And then you pray for forgiveness.....  because you're pretty sure you're not even supposed to be playing the lottery, much less asking God to help you win it.  ;)

Back to my day....as a whole, I have the best work schedule, and overall it's extremely flexible.  I am very blessed in this department and am so thankful!  Yesterday however- nothing went right.  I was planning to leave work early (which I can typically do anytime) so that Troy and I could have a nice dinner somewhere downtown before the show. 

Yeah....that didn't happen.

I was doing good to run home, get out of scrubs, into regular clothes and to the show!

Since our fancy dinner was now out of the question- we decided to pull into Chick-fil-A and grab a sandwich on the way.  We did this for two reasons:  1- it's the closest drive-thru to our home and 2- they are unbelievably fast!  We needed fast.

Wouldn't you know that last night was some kind of end of school celebration at Chick-fil-A.  It took forever and a day.

I thought it was funny that our fancy dinner turned into Chick-Fil-A in the car, so I took a picture.....

And then the world caved in. 




Due to feeling sorry for myself that I had a hard day at work, and I was now not getting my fancy dinner- I ordered a Banana Pudding milkshake with my meal.  They are heavenly.  I needed something heavenly.  After I took the picture above....  I sat the camera in my lap to help get the food.  When I took my milkshake- the lid popped off and the majority of the milkshake dumped right into my lap....

Onto my Nikon...

Onto my Ralph Lauren Dry Clean Only blouse...

Onto E-VE-RY-THING.

We had the biggest mess you have ever seen.

It was the icing on the cake for this day, and I just couldn't help it...   I had to cry.  Yes....  I cried over spilled milk. 

 I didn't even know where to start.... the TWO (??) napkins that Chick-fil-A had given us were worthless, and were devoted solely to the camera.  I told Troy I couldn't go, just to turn around (we were half way there)....  I was literally covered in milkshake- shirt, pants and even some on my shoes.   I was a such a mess.  

God love him, he said "honey, it's okay...  we're not going to miss Riverdance for you...  we're going to find some paper towels....  just calm down...everything is fine....."   and then...  wait for it...

"you can't even really see it."

????????

As I am sopping up milkshake.  

Oh how I love him.

I did the best I could to clean up the mess, and told Troy just to concentrate on getting us there as fast as possible.  I just knew we would be late.

As we were walking...  running... into the Kentucky Center, I told Troy that I would absolutely die if we saw anyone we knew.  I was a wet, sticky, discolored mess.

The show had just started when we reached the theater and they told us we would have to wait a couple of minutes before going in.  It was so dark, our seats were dead center, and I knew we'd have to climb over people that had paid good money to see this show- and now we were interrupting.  I was absolutely humiliated.  I thought to myself  "at least it's dark... and nobody can see me..  but still- this is so embarrassing."  As we began the climb across the people in our row (during the show!)...  I hear Troy whisper ...  "Oh hello Dr. Parker."

No.

PLEASE no.

Please don't let this be Dr. Parker's (Troy's ATTENDING!!!  THE Dr. Parker) lap that I'm getting ready to have to climb over.  Not only were we late and interrupting his show, but my clothes were physically WET and I was having to practically crawl over his lap.  And now the lap of his wife.... and now his child...  oh just take me now Lord.

When intermission started, I prayed they wouldn't turn the lights on.  I needed to hide.  No such luck. 

By this point we were calm and laughing hysterically at the way the night had unfolded....








Troy then said he wanted me to introduce me to Dr. Parker.....

I told him he had lost is ever lovin' mind.

He begged......  and then Dr. Parker started waving at us...   it was no use- I was meeting Dr. Parker and his family..... with my banana soaked attire and my mascara ran face. :(

Remember me saying that I told Troy I prayed we wouldn't see anyone we knew?!  No such luck there either....  this lady waving her arms is my neighbor Lori.  How on God's green earth she spotted me from a BALCONY (!?) I'll never know.  It was as though I had a spotlight above me following me around. 





Then from a few rows back, a sweet childhood friend called out my name.  I was upset that I couldn't reach  to hug her (Hi Charlotte!) but thankful she wouldn't have to smell me/feel me.

And finally, as we were leaving we ran into a physician/resident that Troy works with, and her husband.  I tried to run, but Troy insisted on them meeting me (what is WRONG with him!??) so we chatted for a bit.

Had I known the entire University Hospital Pathology Department was attending Riverdance- I would have waited in the car.

So that was my Riverdance night :)

As for the show- it was wonderful!!  I couldn't sit still, and found myself tapping my feet with them.  I would have given anything to pull out my old tap shoes and join them on stage for just a few seconds!  Charlotte (former dancer) did you feel the same way??






Thank you Troy for taking me to Riverdance.  Thank you for refusing to turn around when I was having my meltdown!  And as much as it pained me at the time- thank you for actually wanting to introduce me to your coworkers, even through I was a sight.  You ALWAYS make me feel like I'm the most beautiful girl in the room!



Before closing this post- I wanted to wish my Mother-in-Law a Happy Birthday!  

I could not have hand-picked a better Mother-in-Law...


They honestly do not come any better than this woman!

I could make a list a mile long of all the things she has done for us, of all the things I love about her....  

But at the top of that list would be one thing....  and that is what she has given me in Troy.

By her doing, her raising, her influence, I have the most precious man by my side!  She raised a sweet, sensitive, loving, man and I am now reaping all of the benefits of her hard labor.  I am so thankful for not only the Mother she is to us now- but the Mother she was to him then.  She sure knows how to raise good boys :)









Thank you Mom for being everything I need in a Mother-in Law, I would be lost without you.  Thank you for loving me as if I was your own. 

And thank you for Troy....  I will forever be so grateful for your what you have given me.

I love you so much!

Love,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment