Pages

Sunday, October 8, 2017

Apple of My Eye


The first part of September brought a weekend of cooler autumn air that had me giddy.  It was too early for pumpkins, but the feeling of fall in the air was irresistible to me.


We found an apple festival at an orchard in Georgetown, KY (and quickly called Grandmom and Grandad with a "let's go apple picking!") and began what I hope is a yearly tradition of a trip to the orchard.














Walt couldn't pick the apples fast enough....   Juliet couldn't taste them fast enough...  and the whole thing was as sweet as it could be to me...






























































The festival also had inflatables, playgrounds, tunnel slides, hayrides, a petting zoo, farmer's market, and the most delicious apple dumplings!












Walt and Juliet also had their first taste of apple cider....

















The apples of my eye!








It was a beautiful early fall day.


I couldn't wait to get home and make our first annual apple picking family recipe.  I had visions of piles of apples, the smell of cinnamon, and everyone in the kitchen joining in the baking fun.  And a "this is so good, it will be our annual homemade apple treat."

But in reality.... Walt was acting a bit puny and not interested in participating in the baking fun.  And my homemade apple fritters....oh lordy.  They looked so....odd...  that you couldn't tell if they were doughnuts or General Tso Chicken.  Honestly.

And when Walt (who had been waiting so patiently for that first bite of apple dessert) finally indulged, he vomited all over the great room....  all over Troy....  and my General Tso Chicken.

If he hadn't spiked a fever a few hours later, I would never bake another apple recipe again.

Apple fritters.....not Chinese chicken (Lord help me!).







But thankfully, this imperfect night of our first annual apple picking only makes for a standout memory after a beautiful early autumn day with my family.


Please email me your no fail apple recipes.


Thanks for reading : )












No comments:

Post a Comment