Pages

Monday, October 15, 2012

Happy Birthday Dad


I am so far behind on blogging that I now don't know where to start!? I get overwhelmed when I go so long without posting. 

To say that we've been busy would be an understatement.  But I couldn't let the evening end without wishing my Daddy a Happy Birthday.

Yesterday the family went to dinner to celebrate his birthday. We then gathered for cake, gifts and just spent the evening being together. Today, (his actual birthday) him and my mom spent the day together birthday shopping, she made him a pot of oyster stew (his request....which also made its way to our house...thank you mom!) and celebrating his special day. 

Sounds like a perfectly nice birthday- right?

Mom and I worried it wasn't enough. 

Last night, my dad called to thank Troy and I for spending his birthday with him. I told him that I wish I had done more. 

Tonight, I talked to mom, and she said that she was worried that he didn't have a good enough birthday. 

????

Let me also mention that mom and dad just returned from a 10 day Alaskan cruise.....

We celebrated his birthday yesterday as a family...

Him and mom celebrated again today....

And we are worried it wasn't enough. 

No- we're not crazy. 
He's just that special to us. 

We feel we could never do enough to show our love. Even though we are silly to worry about him having a nice birthday, I think it shows how much he is to all of us.

He is the husband that makes his wife feel like a queen...

And the father who makes his kids feel like.....well....... like kids.  

That may sound strange- but I love that I still feel like a kid when it comes to my dad.  I love that even at 31, I know that he is there when I'm stranded on the side of the road..... just a phone call away when I've stopped up our sinks.... that he spends his weekends doing pretty much whatever it is we are doing... whether helping Troy lug my Christmas trees inside, or helping set up for a baby shower or a party I'm giving.  He's right there.

I love that he still tells us to lock our doors as he leaves our house.....   and tells me to watch carefully when I back out of his driveway.

Even as grown adults...  we are still his kids.  The kids that "shouldn't be out shopping after dark"....  the kids that "shouldn't be burning all those candles".... the kids that "should come over to his basement when it storms."  

I love it.

And I love you, Dad!  So much!  More than you could ever know.


'


We know that questioning if the wonderful birthday you had was enough is nonsense..... but there isn't a nice enough dinner....a sweet enough birthday cake...  or a cool enough flashlight, leak/moisture detector, infrared thermometer, gadget, tool, or vacation that could ever show our love for you.



And that in itself.....  we have to remember....  is what makes you and your birthday, so special.

I love you.

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment