Pages

Friday, March 30, 2012

National Doctors' Day



Today is "National Doctors' Day!"

I have witnessed first hand all of the blood, sweat and tears that go into becoming a great physician. By the time my husband completes residency/fellowship, he will have devoted ten years to the study of medicine. Can you believe that? TEN years.

I remember his "White Coat Ceremony," the induction into medical school, like it was yesterday. The road ahead was so exciting, yet seemed so long.




I remember the day he was assigned his cadaver. It would be the body he would work on for the first year of medical school, and he couldn't wait.

I remember the first day of his surgery rotation (in medical school). He called and said he was on call, and would have to spend the night in the hospital...... and wouldn't be coming home. He was stressed, tired and upset. I was on lunch, standing in Sam's Club when I got the call. I told him everything would be just fine, to hang in there. Then I hung up with him, and cried like a baby. I called my mom and told her I couldn't be a doctor's wife...... I wasn't cut out for it and would miss him too badly. I also remember me telling her that I was so worried because I hadn't packed much in his lunch that day and he wouldn't have anything to eat all night.
?????
As if they don't have food in hospitals.
I then called my mother in law..... and made her listen to my sad, sorry, irrational self.

I also remember when he fell asleep (due to going a couple of days without any) while holding a retractor during a vascular surgery. He had been standing....in one position.... for seven straight hours.

I remember when he delivered his first baby.... the night before Thanksgiving (2009). It was a baby girl, and he said he was so scared he would drop her because she was so "slippery." :)

I remember his "Match Day," and all of the stress and joy it entailed. Match Day is a ceremony in which medical students learn where they will do their residency. Their hope is that they have "matched" with their first pick. Together in front of their colleagues, all students open an envelope that states where they will spend the next four years of their life. Can you imagine? I have never been so nervous......and have never been so glad to see the name "University of Louisville" in print. What a memorable day!

I remember him preparing for his boards and waiting anxiously for the results to arrive. There would be no graduation without decent board scores.



I remember his very first page as an MD. We were laying in bed in our little apartment watching tv, and knew it could go off at any minute. Is was his first call night as a doctor (no longer a student!), and it was all of a sudden very real. The pager went off, we both jumped out of bed (I'm not sure what I thought I was going to do!?) and Troy grabbed the phone. I was SO excited for him, I couldn't stand it. He called the number back and I stood by waiting anxiously to listen. I heard him say "Hi, this is Dr. Davis....... I was paged."

My heart melted into a million pieces.

It was the first time I had heard him refer to himself as such.

It was at that very moment that all of his hard work, long hours, and preparation became acknowledged and worthy of his sacrifice. It was a moment I'll never forget.
I ran and got the camera so that I could take a picture of his "first page." There is more to this story that involves me knocking over something/causing a crashing noise (during his FIRST phone call!?) that my brother n laws still tease me about..... but we won't go into that. I waited up for him to get home that night, so that I could hear what the case was about. It was a twelve year old girl..... Troy was called in to rule out cancer. In which he did. Yes.... he was now a doctor.


I went down memory lane for a couple of reasons. One, I have never journaled about these things (something I love about blogging now!) and would like to remember them. Two, I think it shows a tiny glimpse of what physicians endure to earn the all important initials behind their name.

I sometimes forget about all of the hard work Troy has endured, mainly because he made it look so easy. Fortunately for him (and me!), he breezed through medical school and is now doing the same with residency. Things come very easy to him.....it blows my mind. Remember I said I was worried about being a doctor's wife, because I was afraid I wouldn't see him as much? That never happened. He has made it an honor, a privilege, and a JOY to be his wife. He has handled this long road with grace. With that being said, just the few memories I mentioned is a reminder of how much physical, mental, and emotional stress he endured to become a doctor. The stories are endless.

That is why I LOVE March 30th, and National Doctors' Day. ANY excuse I have to recognize our physicians, and what they have done so that they can serve others..... I'll do with bells on.

And while wearing my shirt....



I wanted so bad to wear this ALL day on National Doctor's Day, but knew it would embarrass my humble husband to death. So I just put in on for a photo :)


Before closing, I have to say Happy Doctors' Day to my brother-n-law too! Brian is BY FAR the hardest working physician that we know. Thank you Brian for encouraging, listening and "going first" .... you have helped Troy more than you will ever know. We love you!






So if possible, thank a doctor today! The road between the day they took the MCAT, to the day they serve YOU as a patient is a long one!

Happy Doctors' Day Sweet Husband!

Love,

Wife


1 comment: