Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

Hustle & Bustle!

It's officially here!
 
We know the Christmas season has arrived when our calendars are booked full, our home is filled with guests, and we're rushing from one get together to another.....
 
Ahhhhh...   I love it.
 
The hustle and bustle of the Christmas season is all part of the fun for me.  We will go go go from now until a few days before Christmas when we then block off our calendar....   stop....  be still...and celebrate and reflect on the true meaning of Christmas.  Troy and I always save the last few days leading up to the 25th for just us...  and our families....  quiet time to remember the reason for the season. 
 
But until then....  we enjoy the season and it's business to the fullest!  Well....  I do...  Troy will make it almost to the end of the season before he contemplates changing our phone number to avoid more plans....and sarcastically singing Christmas carols that he has replaced with his own lyrics.
 
:)
 
The first weekend in December was a busy one for us!
 
My coworker Cheryl, and her mom came for dinner.  Cheryl and I do an "office Christmas party" at my house every year.  It's super corporate/business like.....   we are normally in sweats and sock feet.   Really...it's nothing special.....  just an excuse to get together outside of the office for the holiday.... and gossip about our least favorite patients. 
 
This year I talked Cheryl into bringing her Mom.  We had appetizers, dinner, dessert and a bottle of wine.  Troy came home half way through our dinner and joined us.  He said that his favorite holiday party is the one where he just shows up (in his own home) and eats!
 
 
Years ago (around the holidays), Cheryl began calling Troy her "Holiday Boy."  I have no idea where it came from or how it began, but she brings Troy a cookie to our "office party" every year now.....

 
Throughout the year, she will also occasionally pick him up a 12 pack of Mountain Dew Live Wire, because it's his favorite..... she knows I will usually only buy diet soda.
 
Everyone loves Troy :)
 
Cheryl wanted to see Penelope, so Jen and Nate walked over for dessert.....
 

After dinner, we went to look at Christmas lights....   and our non business, so not corporate, bring your mom, wear your sweats, my husband will join us eventually, "call Jen and tell her to bring Penny over"...  2012 Christmas Office Party ...was complete.

Thank you Cheryl for another year of being a hard working, dependable, "work mom" of a coworker!  I couldn't do it without you.  Love you!
 
 
The next night, we ended the work week with Chinese Friday.  Sam walked in and said, "I brought something for us to look at while the boys go pick up the food...  "
 


My sweet, innocent Sam actually paid money to look at this week's criminals :)
 
Troy and I love Chinese Friday for a number of reasons...   but why Sam and Jason love it (and continue to show up) is beyond me.
 
I told them on Friday that as far as the entertainment scale goes.....   they are so abused.
 
Unlike fixing a nice dinner for our guest the night before...   I rarely fix anything for Chinese Friday.  Troy and Jason always go pick up take out...  and dessert is often whatever I have laying around. 
 
This time I served them left over dessert from the night before...
 
Half way through the evening, Troy had to stop and take an hour long phone call... 
 
I rarely think to offer them refills or anything else like I would most guests....  they usually help themselves.
 
Our entertainment was a movie night on the sofa.....in which I slept through most of....
 
 

 
Abused I tell ya.
 
To be honest....  there isn't another couple in the world that we would enjoy hanging with late on a Friday night.  Troy will tell you that he doesn't like to plan or do anything on a Friday night...  we're always tired from the work week...we both usually work until after 6:00....and the thought of entertaining or going out is exhausting.  "Well...  except for Chinese Friday with Sam and Jason" he will say......  "and that's totally different."
 
He's right.  It is so different!  It's easy and it's home.
 
Even if they are abused.
 
 

On Saturday, Troy and I went to lunch....ran errands and did a little Christmas shopping.
 



On Sunday we did a holiday dinner with grandparents....
 

This is my Mom's Dad and his sweet wife, Clara.
 






People always tell me that I look just like my Mom....  I now also think I look like my Grandfather.  My small eyes...small lips...they come from him I guess!
 

 

After a delicious dinner at J Alexander's with my family..... I headed to Parkland Baptist Church for my sweet Abigail.
 


She was part of the "Hanging of the Greens" service at their church.

The service was dedicated solely to decorating the church for Christmas, and I enjoyed it so much!

With each decoration that was hung or light that was turned on, they told the meaning and representation behind it....and the congregation sang a Christmas carol or hymnal...




Children of all ages were involved in hanging the greenery...the wreaths, etc. 
 

 
The little ones were the last to come into the sanctuary, and they adorned the alter with Poinsettias. 
 
Abby is in the middle with her handful of flowers...
 

 



I love these next few photos....  
 
After she made her debut down the aisle and did her part... she plopped up in the pew like.. "okay people.... i did my thing...now what do you have?"

 
 
 


 At one point during the service, a baby cried out and Abby looked at Sam and said "Momma, that not Baby Jesus."
 
 
 The pastor closed the service by reminding everyone that even though they had decorated the sanctuary so beautifully that evening....   that our true sanctuary was in Jesus...   He is who we turn to when we're scared, in need...  it is in Him that we find comfort and rest.  He is our true sanctuary.  Wonderful message!
 
 

The last thing they did was have the entire congregation decorate the family Christmas tree.  Everyone brought an ornament to hang on the tree to represent their family.  They formed a line and hung the ornament one family at a time.  I loved it!
 


 


 



What a perfect way to close out the weekend!

I hope that your first week of December is filled with friends, family, and all that goes into making the hustle & bustle of the season!

Love,

Kristin



 

No comments:

Post a Comment