Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Dad

I know Father's Day has come and gone (time got away from me this weekend!) but I still wanted to honor my Dad.

And because this week marks FIVE YEARS since the week of my wedding...  I'm going with wedding photos :)


The day I turned 16, my Mom and Dad turned our kitchen into a dance hall.  I had no idea they were doing this, and was surprised to walk into a disco-ball lit room, with the 50's classic song "Sixteen Candles,"  playing in the background.  My Dad asked for my hand and told me that he wanted to be the first man I ever danced with.  As we danced around the kitchen, he told me how proud he was of me, and that he hoped the boy I danced with next, would love me as much as he did.  It was a moment I'll never forget.

Ten years later, he whispered similar words into my ear on my wedding day.  When we watched our video, I was upset that I couldn't hear the conversation between my Dad and I.  I was scared I would forget it.


But I haven't forgotten.  Not a word.

Just like the day of my Sweet 16, he told me how proud he was of me.... and how happy he was that Troy would be the one taking care of me from now on.  He told me how hard it was going to be to watch me leave home, but that he would cherish every moment he ever had with me.  He said he wished he could do it all over again, because I had grown up too fast, and letting go of his little girl was so hard.








My Dad is more then words on a blog can describe.  He worked very hard my entire life to give me all that I could dream of...  all that I could ever desire.

Throughout my life, he has painted a picture of love, selflessness, and devotion.  A picture that I was proud to try and recreate when I looked for my husband, future father of my children, and best friend.


I love you Dad.  I love you for staying up until 5am every Christmas Eve so that my Barbie Dream House would be perfect by morning ...  I love you for working so many long hard hours, so that I could attend a private school, spend summers at the beach, dance, cheer-lead, have my dream wedding, etc.  

But most of all, I love you for creating all of the precious memories that you have for me.  For the conversation we had on my Sweet 16....  that lead to the special talk we shared the day you gave me away. Moments like that, last forever.

Hope you had a wonderful Father's Day!

Love,

Kristin

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful honor. Your dad is a very special person. He has always worked so hard to give to his family. I have never understood how he could do all that he does and he makes it seem so easy. I am so glad you have such wonderful memories. And leave it only to your mom and dad to think of doing something so special for a sweet 16.

    Cathy Reising

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin, I will certainly agree with every precious thing you said about your Dad. He did work long hours and still made it home to enjoy activities with his family. He never complained and did it all so well. He is a wonderful man, father and husband, who lives his life to make us happy. To him, we are the world and I thank God for him every day. To Billy, Happy Father's Day / To Kristin, Happy 5th Anniversary.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete