Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Just Checking In...

Nothing special to share tonight....  just checking in really :)

My camera has been in the closest for several weeks.  We've been so busy that I haven't taken the time to get it out and carry with us.

But I thought I would unload some of my Iphone photos from the past week...


We finally said goodbye to my Ford Focus.....




And hello to our Chevy Equinox.....




We had put off this purchase (and a new car payment!  Eek!) for long enough.  We always seem to find other things we'd rather spend money on.  Troy and I have always owned clunkers.  When I say clunkers...  I mean clunkers.  My poor little Focus had just about all it could take.  The air conditioning had went out... the heat was gone...  the trunk could only be closed and latched by the Hulk....  if left in a rain storm, the passenger side floor board held a small pond. :)

Clunkers I tell ya.

But clunker or not....they served their purpose...  got us through college...  through the newlywed stage....through med school.  It was nice not having to make a car payment during those phases of life.  Saying goodbye to my Focus was bittersweet.

A big thank you to my Father-in-law, Papa George who was the BIGGEST help in finding our new (well, new to us!), car.  We would be lost without him, and are so thankful for all he does for us.


Continuing on with the past couple of weeks of Iphone photos...

Christy celebrated a birthday.  We had brunch at The Cheesecake Factory followed by dessert and gifts at my parent's house..



Troy had a CRAZY weekend of call.....



Yes....there are times when physicians diagnose and treat their patients while sitting in their flannel pajamas  :)

And then there are times when they are paged at 3am and have to rush to the hospital as quickly as possible.

Troy had plenty of both this weekend.  





Sad news folks....saaaaaad news....   my maternity leave is O-V-E-R.

Wait...  I men Jen's maternity leave.  

Jen and I exercised almost all the way through her pregnancy.  When Penelope was born, she obviously went on a 6 week break.

For some reason, I evidently thought I was entitled to maternity leave as well, because I've waited.... quite patiently I might add....  on the sofa...  for her maternity leave to end.

I couldn't possibly exercise without her.  

I didn't want her to feel left out.

I'm a good friend like that.

;)

Jen and I started back to our exercising routine last week and everything was going well until she asked me to go hiking.  I told her I was not hiking the Sunday before Thanksgiving.  It was turkey time, and there was nothing festive about hiking.  I told her I'd participate in a pumpkin pie bake off, we could decorate Christmas trees, plan our Thanksgiving Day outfit...  but hiking... the week of Thanksgiving...  I was not.

Besides....  I only participate in organized physical activity when I get a number to wear on my shirt.  There was nothing official (or festive......did I mention that?) about this hike.

Guess who made me a number?






And guess who went hiking?








As much as I griped and fussed about going....  it ended up to be the perfect day for a fall hike through Bernheim Forest.   I think the thing I loved best about the hike, is just the fact that Jen would absolutely NOT have me staying home.  As much as it drove me crazy at the time.....  because really all I wanted to do that day was lay around and watch holiday themed Lifetime movies....  I LOVE the fact that she wanted me there.  I take it as a HUGE blessing that I have friends that want to spend time with me.

And while we're on the subject of exercise... we began the "Couch to 5K" program tonight. 




Before Jen's.....  okay our...  maternity leave, we were doing great at the walking/jogging combination.  Hopefully this program will have us back on track in no time! 



So I've been counting down for weeks.....



Thanksgiving is my VERY favorite day of the year.  People are always shocked to hear that...they ask,  "how can Christmas not be your favorite day?"  The only way I know how to describe it, is that for me....  Thanksgiving is like the opening ceremonies.... the opening number.... the kick off celebration, and the start of the countdown to Christmas.  

It's just such a fun day.  The smell of mom's cooking.... the Macy's Day Parade on in the back ground...  the Black Friday sale adds strung out in front of us....  sneaking a bite of whatever Mom is working on.....  hearing Matthew ask again how much longer before we eat....  hearing Troy ask again how much longer before he can change the channel to "something better,".....Dad insisting that something is burning on the stove...  Kandice begging not to be in charge of making sure that something doesn't burn on the stove....an elegantly decorated table with candlelight.....Dad's Thanksgiving prayer (which even as grown adults, Kandice and I still smack one another under the table during) ......saying what we're thankful for....and ending with the most delicious meal you've ever had! 

 It's just a sweet day.  A day with my family....a day to reflect on all that we have to be thankful for.  It's also the first day of the Christmas season for us....  and again.....my favorite day of the year.

I am extra excited about this year's Thanksgiving because for the first time ever, my momma's are doing their meals on different days.  Troy's mom decided to have her Thanksgiving on Saturday, and I am thrilled.  We normally have to rush to squeeze in time with two families on one day....  and squeeze in two meals.  It makes it tough.  I am ecstatic to be able to spend as much time as we'd like with each family this year.  And now we get two Thanksgiving Days!  I spoke with my Mother-in-law last night, and she is preparing the turkey a special way.... per my request.  She is so good to me... she would serve Chinese food if I asked her to.  She also read me her list of desserts that she's serving.....  it's a mile long...  I am so excited.....   but I may have to go hiking again.


And speaking of cooking......  I went across to my Mom's today and she has already began.  She will cook for four days (if that gives you any idea of the feast she prepares.  It's unbelievable!) and will have everything perfected by Thursday.

I have no idea what is in the yellow bowl... believe me, I tried to peak, but she had it sealed like crazy... wonder why??  And there appears to maybe be dough rising in the Tupperware container.


Yes folks....  everything seems to be in working order for my favorite day!

And if I don't "see you" before hand.... a Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!!  Thank you SO much to all of you for reading my blog..... leaving sweet comments.... and for just being my friend.  I am more thankful than you'll ever know.

Love,

Kristin

No comments:

Post a Comment